Tuesday 29 January 2008

comserv for OS X - Leopard


comserv for leopard
About a year ago I was using comserv on a BSD box hooked up to a Xyplex terminal access server. This gave me native access to the serial ports on the terminal server, so I could do a simple "cu -l /usr/local/comserv/dev/xport01" to connect to a router or switch or what have you.

I have been considering a MacBook, and one of the programs I would love to have would be comserv. I had a look around the pkg repositories but no luck! It was a case of rolling my own.

After a little bit of compiling and package hacking I have got a fully working OSX package: comserv.pkg

After a simple double click install, all that is needed is to:

sudo cp /usr/local/etc/comservd.conf.sample /usr/local/etc/comservd.conf

sudo vi /usr/local/etc/comservd.conf
ammend to your liking:

sudo vi /etc/hostconfig
append: COMSERVD=-YES-


and that is it, comservd starts up on reboot and gives you access to all those ports.
If you can't wait to reboot.
sudo SystemStarter start COMSERVD


comservd conf help is available under the installed man page. Even better 'pman' comservd. Also, it is complete with an uninstall.sh script.

enjoy

No comments: